Princess Muse

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Musings on Schedule Changes and Sleepless Nights

So, the end of August has brought back the start of school, which means that my days of sleeping whenever and getting up whenever are over.   Caulfield, in the comic strip Frazz, sums up my feelings just about perfectly:  "I don't mind learning.  I mind structure."

I have to get up earlier this year than in previous years.  My Older Son is in 6th grade and riding the bus for the first time.  Trying to figure out what time he should be at the bus stop was frustrating.  Our county shows the start time for each bus run, but not what time to expect the bus at each stop.  Do I add 5 minutes for each previous stop?  Should he be at the stop when the run starts?  Consequently, he was at the stop almost 25 minutes early.  Not that I regret that too much....I'd rather be too early than too late.  But would it be too much for the County to put a note telling parents how much time to allow per stop?

Younger Son ended up at school almost 20 minutes early,  too.  Figuring out the timing of all these schedules is going to take a little while.  And then we get to re-adjust once I start subbing again.

With the earlier get-up times, you'd think I'd adjust to a slightly earlier bedtime.  I was tired last night.  Exhausted, in fact.  I wasn't home very much yesterday.  Between running errands and grabbing the things I'd forgotten, I didn't have a chance to sit at home and savor the quiet until almost 2:00.  Not much time to really relax because then I had to start thinking about pick-up time for Younger Son.  When it was finally bed time, did I collapse in a little heap and start dreaming the dreams of the just?  Oh no, I did not.  I did the one thing I knew I shouldn't do.

I started a new book.

I started a new book, even knowing that  I would have to read it until it was finished.  See, new books for me are like Lays Potato Chips:  I can't just read one chapter (Lays used to have an ad slogan of "Betcha can't eat just one."  And no, I can't.  Sometimes, Madison Avenue just adores me).  If the book is good enough, I'll start and I'll think to myself, "Oh, I'll just read a chapter or two, then I'll stop and save the rest for tomorrow."  Next thing I know, it's 2 am and I'm wondering why I started that book so late in the evening.  (For the record, the book in question was Christie Craig's Don't Mess with Texas.  Light romance  whodunit with comedic overtones.  I like her stuff.)

Which means that it's almost 2 pm and my head hurts from lack of sleep, but I can't take a nap now because I'll no sooner start to doze off when I'll have to go get Younger Son and then deal with homework.  Yay.  Oh, the joys of being the at-home parent.

All this is also kind of a roundabout way of saying that I may be an irregular blogger for the next little while.  Until I figure out what the schedule is going to be.

Keep a sense of humor and stay aMused.

No comments:

Post a Comment