Princess Muse

Monday, August 29, 2011

Musings on the Dawn of a New Era....

Well, it looks like all my natural disasters are done with, so now I'm waiting for the unnatural disasters:  asteroids (although, that might still be a natural disaster), zombie apocalypse or alien invasion.  I'd say "Bring it," but I don't want to tempt fate too much....

Steve Jobs announced that he was resigning from his position as CEO of Apple.  Frankly, I haven't been paying much attention to the news lately, because really, around here, it's all been about earthquakes and hurricanes and power outages and stuff like that.  Umm, living through it (although, thankfully WITH power), so I don't really need to hear the newspeople yapping about it.  So, I'm assuming that Mr. Jobs is resigning due to whatever health issue he's been dealing with for the past few years.

So, this is my love letter to Apple, and by extension, to Mr. Jobs.

I've been a MAC girl since 1995.  I was working on my teaching certificate, and at that time, the elementary and middle schools in Baltimore County used Macs.  Although there's no blue NEXT button on my Mac (see my entry "Musings on Being a Tech Goddess" if you don't know what I'm talking about), I have always found Macs easy to work on.  Straight-forward.  Even logical to the Missy-brain (which, if you know me, you know does not always work on the same logic that the rest of the world seems to use.  I blame PCs.)

My first Mac came bundled with a Newton.  I liked my Newton.  It was, of course, a pre-courser to the Netbooks, and was only black and white (and didn't have Internet capability), but what was handy for me.  I could easily write my drills for my students, print it out on my laser printer (on the acetate transparency) and have it on my overhead projector before classes changed (about 5 minutes).  My students loved my Newton, too.  I remember one day, I knocked off my desk accidentally and several of my students mourned with me.  We all did the happy dance when it came back from Apple with the repaired screen.

Since that first Mac, we've gotten two others, plus 2 iPod Touches, 1 iPod classic, an iPad and my MacBook Pro.  I love them all.  I love iTunes, although I'm not real happy with Apple insisting on taking a bigger cut from Amazon and Barnes and Noble if I want to buy a book on my iPod Touch with my Barnes and Noble app (okay, in reality, I only buy books on my Nook, and I don't foresee ever being without my Nook, but it's the principle of the matter.  I'm sure Apple will say that they have a good reason for insisting on this, and maybe they do, but I am, sometimes, an unreasonable consumer.)

I really like iTunes customer service.  I recently realized that one of the albums/playlists that I purchased last month was missing a song.  I tried to buy it, but iTunes wouldn't let me (probably because it thought I had already purchased it).  So, I sent an email off to iTunes Customer Service asking what I could do about this.  They reviewed the problem, realized that I should have gotten the song and said they'd refund the purchase price of the album and fix it so that it was as if I hadn't purchased the album/playlist.  Very nice about it.  If you get Guy or Grace, tell 'em I said "Hi!"  They were super (and I intend to send an email to them saying so--actually, I sent one, and I intend to send another.  Maybe I'll even make a phone call to a supervisor and say so.  Which reminds me, if you get good service, please make sure you tell them that.  Most of the time, customer service reps only hear about what a horrible job they (or someone else in CS) has done.  It only takes a moment to thank someone and it really makes their day.  Take it from someone who has worked customer service).

The other night, I had a weird dream.  In my dream, I was...somewhere.  Convention, office building, I'm not sure where.  I had my MacBook with me.  I looked  up, and there was Steve Jobs.  I went over to him to tell him how much I enjoyed my Apple products and to wish him good luck in the future.  He looked pleased that I said that and noticed my MacBook.  He had me put on the desk/ledge/whatever and started doing some cool things with it.  I wish I remember what it was, but it was just cool.  So, thank you, Mr. Jobs (and Mr. Wozniak!) for Apple Computers.  Good luck in the future.

No, Apple's not perfect, but I wouldn't trade any of my Apple products for anything.  I can't wait to see what will happen next.

Keep yourself aMused.

No comments:

Post a Comment