Princess Muse

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Musings about eReaders (and my Nook)

I have friends who can't believe that I have an eReader.  I can't believe my friends can't believe that I have an eReader.  To be specific, I have a Nook.  I love my Nook.

I've had it for about a year and a half, now and I think I've been more than 5 feet away from it 5 times.  (Yes, I'm one of those people who never goes anywhere without a book...)  When I buy a new purse, I check to make sure it's big enough for my Nook (and my two cameras, my iPod  and my cell phone, but that's a story for another day....)

I decided to get an eReader because I'm running out of room in my house for more books.  I have (at a conservative estimate) over 1,000 books.  My Nook can hold 2,000 (more or less) books on the internal hard drive, plus I don't know how many more on SD cards.  Currently, I have 362 books on my Nook.  About 1/3 are books that I've repurchased.  I won't be able to repurchase all of my old books--some are out of print, and it would be expensive for the publishers to convert older books to some form of ePub formatting.  I wish they would, anyway.  I have a lot of books I'd like to put on my Nook.

There are a lot of reasons to get an eReader.  For me, it came down to 2 Big Reasons (and 2 Little Reasons I thought of later):  1) Being able to get rid of some books, (while not having to give up any of my books) and 2) vacation travel.  See, when I travel, I try to anticipate how many books I'm going to need to take with me (and better to take too many than not enough!)  Not a big problem if I'm driving somewhere, or if I'm going to be visiting relatives -- if I run out, I can always run out to a bookstore and get more books.  But, if I'm going on a "Destination Holiday," or flying, then it gets to be trickier.  If I pack too many books, I might not have enough room for souvenirs.  Not enough books and I might run out of things to read. (Although, yes, there isn't a lot of time left over for reading, after journaling about what I've seen, looking at the pictures on the camera and crawling to bed in utter exhaustion.)  It's hard to gauge how many books to bring.  But, with my Nook, I don't have to worry about it anymore.  It's only the size of a trade paperback book, but I can carry all my books with me.  Don't feel like re-reading a book?  No problem.  I can connect with Barnes and Noble and get another book--and keep my feet propped up to relax them.

My Little Reasons for having a Nook are: 1)  I can get a book anytime I want a new one.  No longer do I have to wait for Barnes and Noble to be open.  I don't have to get dressed and rush out to get a book.  If I'm at work and finish up a book, I can get a new one while on a break.  For someone who is a Night Owl and has a hard time falling asleep, this is a godsend, and 2) if I want to compare books while out, at say, book club, I can easily do so. (Okay, so this reason hasn't  happened very often, but that doesn't mean it's not a good reason.  It might happen.  Someday.  Maybe.)

Now, this isn't to say that an eReader is perfect.  I've had a few issues with purchasing books (Hanukkah/Christmas can be a horrible time to try to buy new ebooks--the servers get clogged up with everybody buying new books), and sometimes my Nook decides that I meant to turn two or three pages, instead of one.  But these are, overall, minor problems.  And yes, sometimes I do miss that New Book Smell (which is even better than New Car Smell, in my opinion).  But what is really nice is that I can resize the text--which, with my funny vision is pretty cool.  It's nice to know I won't get eyestrain from trying to read too small print--or have to worry about being able to find a book I want to read in Large Print.

Oh, and why did I get a Nook instead of a Kindle or any other eReader?  I can change the battery myself.  Not that I need to worry about doing this very often, but this way, I don't have to be without my Nook while somebody else swaps out the battery.

Well, time to go aMuse myself with a new book....what shall I read today?

No comments:

Post a Comment