Princess Muse

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Musings on Vactions (sort of)

So, before Irene really gets here (she's knocking on the door right now--it's been raining for a couple of hours and it's a bit breezy, but not bad yet), and before school starts (Monday?  Tuesday?  Who knows at the moment!), time to reflect on the past summer...

Haven't done much this summer.  Mostly, I've sat on the porch and written this blog, read books and generally have done nothing.  I haven't even made it to the pool.

Sometimes you need a summer of nothing.  This is what a summer vacation is supposed to be about.  A time to kick back and rest.  The military sends its personnel on "Rest and Relaxation."  Sometimes, I want to be busy and see the sights and do stuff.  This summer, I wanted to do nothing.

Had a birthday.  Celebrated my mom's birthday.  Wished my friends who have summer birthdays happy birthday.  Birthdays are the best.  Birthdays are a time for friends and family to get together and celebrate.  It's not the presents that matter, it's the friends.  Not that I'm opposed to presents.  I love presents.  I love to just look at the wrapped present and imagine what could be inside.  It's kinda like Schrodinger's Cat.  Until I open the present, it could be anything.

Sometimes a vacation trip is just what I want.  We go to Disney World a lot.  My parents have a time share in Orlando (among other places), and are nice enough to share with us.  I love going down to Orlando.  It gives me a chance to meet up with Arlyn.  Now that I've re-found some of my Florida friends, I hope to meet up with Debi and my cousin Chelle.



Not all vacations have to happen during the summer.  I won a trip to Iceland once.  My credit union was holding a raffle.  They called to tell me that I won on my Birthday.  I was pregnant with Younger Boy, so we couldn't take the trip right away.  We went in April.  It was a 2 night, 3 day trip.  This was one of those times when I packed as much as I could into the limited amount of time.  We went on a City tour of Reykjavik, the Blue Lagoon, and a Circle Tour, which took us out to see the Geysir, and Thingvellir National Park.  


Statue of Leifur Eríksson in front of Halgrímskirkja
The Law Rock at Thingvellir National Park

The Geysir

Anyway, I may not have taken any trips, but I've had a great summer.  Now, I'm ready to take on the current school year and all the challenges to come.

(We still have power.  Funny--I'm watching Dr. Who and the Doctor says, "If you all don't prepare for this storm, you will be in terrible danger.  Sometimes synchronicity is pretty funny.)

Stay aMused.



No comments:

Post a Comment