Princess Muse

Friday, August 26, 2011

Musings on Battening Down the Hatches

What a week....first, there was an Eathquake (cue Carol King's "I Feel The Earth Move")... then the Gavin DeGraw/Maroon 5/Train concert (OMG!  I channelled my inner 21 year old!), then we had "Meet Your Teacher Day" at the Elementary and Middle School (I was exhausted afterwards), and now we have Hurricane Irene to prepare for....oh, and who knows if we'll have school on Monday....I'm ready to crawl under the bed and not come out for a week!

The worst part about knowing that a major storm is coming is that you don't always know how much you should prepare.  Over-prepare, and you end up with a life time supply of "C" and "D" batteries.  Under-prepare, and you run the risk of not having enough citronella for the Tiki torches.  Trust me, there is nothing worse than not having enough citronella for the Tiki torches.

What's even harder is that the weather forecasters can't tell you exactly how bad it's going to be.  It's not their fault.  There are a lot of factors to consider.  A few miles either way can make a storm a mild annoyance or a catastrophe.

Of course, it doesn't help that very few people actually prepares for eventualities until the last minute.  At the moment, you can't find a "C" or "D" battery to save your soul.  Generators sold out in record time.  Grocery stores have bare shelves where the milk, bread and toilet paper used to be.  I haven't seen people fighting for the *last* of anything, but I'm sure somewhere it'll happen.

Currently, Baltimore County is currently under a Tropical Storm Warning (Friday afternoon).  The worst of the storm is supposed to be Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning.

Don't worry.... I have a USB to cigarette lighter converter....I'll let you know just how bad it is, even if I have to hide in the car......

Stay dry and aMused.....

No comments:

Post a Comment