Princess Muse

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Musings about Coming Attractions

Ken and I have been going to the movies a little more regularly than we had been (thank you to my in-laws), so we've been treated to the previews of coming attractions.

First, I have to say that the Previews before the Previews kinda crack me up.  Used to be that when you got to the movies early, you'd listen to whatever Musak the theater had playing.  Something the "101 Montovani Strings Plays the Music of the Movies" or something like that.  This was your chance to get your popcorn, sit down with your friends, switch seats 300 times so you could talk to this person or that person, look around and see if anybody else you knew was at the theater, etc, etc.  Then the lights would dim, and you'd get quiet and watch the 5 or 10 minutes of Coming Attractions (which would be divided into sections like "Coming Soon" or "Coming This Summer" or "Coming Later This Year").  Then the lights would go to full dark and the movie would start.  Now, you have to sit through a 20 or 30 minute show (Like Sony's First Look) that lets you see what TELEVISION shows are coming.  Okay, movies have been advertising on television for a long time, so I guess turn about is fair play, but I still think it's kinda weird.

So, some of the movies that are coming out soon (where possible, I linked the trailer)

1)  Real Steel  Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots finally get their movie.  Hugh Jackman's in it, so it'll go on the list for those days when the kids are in school and I'm not working....

2)  The Three Musketeers  This ain't your momma's Musketeers.  Orlando Bloom will be Buckingham with airships.  I don't remember those in the novel (maybe I should re-read this one, too).  Lady deWynter is also a bit more kick-ass than before.  Ken's not sure he wants to see this, but I do.  Oh Yes, I Do....

3)  Mission Impossible:  Ghost Protocol  Yes, I know, Tom Cruise.  But he's my twin ( a few years older) and I'm a sucker for action movies.  And the Mission Impossible theme.  I'm getting an adrenaline rush just thinking about it.

4)  Killer Elite  Jason Statham, Robert DeNiro, Clive Owen.  As the trailer plays "Rock You Like a Hurricane," I can't help but grin.  Killer soundtrack potential.

5)  The Change-Up  Freaky Friday, only with a single guy (Ryan Reynolds) and a married with kids guy (Jason Bateman) switching places.  I love both these actors, but I'm thinking rental... or late night tv....

6)  Friends with Benefits  Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis.  This one might be in the theaters now.  Unless someone tells me that this is just the funniest movie they've ever seen, I think I'll wait for it to be a rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment