Princess Muse

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Musings about Ch..ch..ch...ch...changes....

We all say we want a change, but really, what we mean is "I want things to stay the same, except I want it to better for me."

I downloaded OS X Lion yesterday.... it was going to be soooo different, a big change in the operating system... I read some of the comments about the new OS in the Mac App Store .... most were positive, a few were negative and a few were neutral (of the "things have changed a bit, but I'm sure I'll get used to it...." variety).  And yes, some things have changed, but for the most part, not too much.  I can ignore some of the changes and keep doing things the way I've been doing, but I signed up for "One-to-One" when I bought my laptop, so I think I'll sign up for a session with one of the Apple Guys (and, in this case, the word "guy" is gender neutral) and have them explain why Mission Control and Launch Pad are Just The Greatest Things Ever!  (Ironic, isn't it, that the Space Shuttle program ends and Apple is using all this cool space imagery...*sigh*)

But, Change can be scary.  It can be a leap into the unknown.  There could be a scary monster hiding behind the rocks over there....or it could be the Beautiful Princess/Handsome Prince.  When we're young, change is as natural as breathing (radical new hair cut, new hair color, switch your major, find a new job, etc), but as we get older we tend to make changes in our lives only when the alternative (not changing) is seen as being untenable.  Not always.  If the State of Hawaii called me today and said they wanted to hire me as a teacher, I'd be on the next flight out.  And, right now, my life is pretty good.  I have a nice house, great kids (when they're not antagonizing each other), a fantastic husband (and I'm not just saying this because he reads my blog), my parents live within an easy drive (3.5 - 4 hours), my in-laws are willing to babysit almost anytime I ask them to, I have some pretty great friends here in town, a job where I'm needed, but I have the option of saying "no" (not that I do very often, but it's nice to know that I can) if I don't feel like working that day, an extensive network of friends that I don't see, but I "talk" to them most days (gotta love email and FaceBook) and enough money that I can buy books and music without worrying that I won't be able to feed the kids.  Yep, life is good.... and, yet, if the State of Hawaii called.....maybe I could do that because I know that I'll make new friends, I'll adapt to island life (even if it doesn't always have everything I consider to be a "necessity" (such as a Barnes & Noble within an easy drive).  Oh, there are things and people I'd miss, but I know that a change like that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

But, you know what?  For the most part, change is incremental.  We need to change.  If we don't change, or adapt, we stagnate and die, whether it's physically or spiritually.  Sometimes the change can be horrific (you develop a dread disease or lose your job), but that can lead to you make changes in your health routine, or go back to school and find a job you find even more fulfilling.  I know, I'm an optimist....my glasses are definitely rose colored and my glass is ALWAYS half-full.

Never believe a politician who promises that there are going to be changes.  I don't doubt that the politician wants to enact changes, but the reality is, the politician has to work with a lot of different people, some of whom don't think things need to change, or, if they do, things need to change in different ways.  If you don't believe me, join a committee at work, or the PTA if you have school aged children.  If you're lucky, you'll be able to change ONE thing.  Mostly, you're doing a good job if you can modify one thing.

Okay, enough lecture.  Time for me to aMuse myself by thinking about different changes I can make....

No comments:

Post a Comment